Monday, May 21, 2012

The weekend, in le nutshell


Hi friends, can you even believe it’s already another week? It’s already in the later part of May?! It’s already almost summer?! Gahhhhhhhh. If I resonate with anything in The Happiness Project, it’s that “The days are long and the years are short.” So, so short.

ANYWAY...

How were your weekends? Mine shaped up nicely! On Friday I teetered between going out and staying in and finally chose the former and was glad for it. It took me an hour to drive through detours from St. Paul to Uptown, then I had dinner at Stella’s (crowded, terrible service, mediocre food, good drinks) and felt extremely underdressed in pants and a tank top. I should have worn a body-con dress with cutouts, stilettos, and shimmery everything. Just kidding, but seriously. Then we headed to William’s Peanut Bar (always a good time in my book) and played some Skee-Ball and ate peanuts and met some rather interesting characters. And I took a photo of this girl, who was downing a pitcher of beer and dancing wildly at a table by herself.



I went back to my car to find a parking ticket (gotta read ALL of the signs, Jen) but since I didn’t really drink and I had such a good time, it was all worth it.


Saturday, I had a car appointment and caught up on reading the news and my book club book while I waited. Then it was time for Art-a-Whirl, which I wrote about here. Then, croquet at the boyfriend’s brother’s house for his wife’s birthday. But then it started thunderstorming and hailing like a banshee, so instead, we played cribbage to our hearts’ content. We love cribbage. Like, a lot.



Sunday was the graduation ceremony of my BFF, Jessica. She had to attend a “hooding ceremony” which was Catholic Mass in disguise, then we had a breakfast reception, split up, and reunited for the regular ceremony. The student speaker was a young student from Uganda, graduating Summa Cum Laude, a scholar of all sorts, head of everything, the only student member of some fancy board, etc, etc. She has a job lined up with the government working in Uganda for public health, but first, she must train for a bit at Yale. Then she’ll return for grad school. And she was funny and metaphorical and delivered a perfect speech. Sigh. What am I doing in this world? This girl has accomplished in University what most people hope to accomplish in tens of years.

Attending a graduation ceremony makes me wish I was in school again, which is kind of funny because all of the people in the ceremony are just glad to be done. On another note, I didn’t realize how beautiful St. Kate’s grounds are!

Hope your week is fabulous. I am sure it will fly by like a mothereffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?