Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be Mine, Valentine

A lot of people think of Valentine's Day as an overrated holiday that retailers gussied up and devalued its meaning. It's not just about chocolates and roses and cliches. It's about recognizing people you love. I like it more than I like a lot of other holidays. The color scheme definitely gives it points and I'm not into the whole gaining a ton of weight on a holiday just because it's a holiday (like Thanksgiving). Not to say this doesn't happen. It does. Sigh.

Anyway, back to the point. The origins of Valentine's Day come from a bunch of saints named Valentine who were martyred on February 14. Then came Chaucer, who connected the day with love by writing a poem for a marriage ceremony. Then came hand-written cards in the 18th century, then came printed cards and now it is what it is.

What do you think? Will you be celebrating? I've been celebrating all month, so you know my answer. 


Here's a bit of a forward my coworker sent to me. Normally forwards are meant to be deleted, but this one was pretty cute. This is what some little kids think about love:

'When my grandmother got arthritis , she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.. So my grandfather does it for her all the time , even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'
Rebecca- age 8

'When someone loves you , the way they say your name is different.
You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.'
Billy - age 4

'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'
Karl - age 5


'If you want to learn to love better , you should start with a friend who you hate , '
Nikka - age 6
 


'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'
Tommy - age 6

'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.'
Mary Ann - age 4


'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it , you should say it a lot. People forget.'
Jessica - age 8

The best one was a four-year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry , the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard , climbed onto his lap , and just sat there.  When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor , the little boy said , 'Nothing , I just helped him cry' 
Oh! That last part just makes me tear up. And for my last trick, these are the other ways I've been being festive in the spirit of St. Valentine.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin'?